www.suzukib-king.org
Hi and welcome to our Suzuki B-king forum , Please take time to read our "Rules , Information & discounts for users" section , Hope you enjoy your stay and tell all your B-king friends

.org.

www.suzukib-king.org

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
our facebook page (please click the link below)
B-king face book page
Follow us on twitter
Make a donation to help with the running of our forum
Latest topics
» Hi from Denmark
by Joshidiah Yesterday at 19:44

» Hello from Italy
by punisher Yesterday at 14:14

» B-King owner locations (MAP)
by boombastic Yesterday at 14:08

» New for me B King (Bethesda, MD)
by ReedMan Wed 16 Jul 2014 - 17:35

» Hallo from Germany !!!!
by Grumpy Old Man Tue 15 Jul 2014 - 14:39

» Hello from South Tirol (Italy) .. by KROETE666
by tailscookie Sat 12 Jul 2014 - 16:35

» The "new guy"
by purplemonkey Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 9:24

» Hello from newfoundland
by punisher Fri 11 Jul 2014 - 6:42

» New B King Rider (Ellicott City, MD)
by bkinglover Wed 9 Jul 2014 - 5:41

Share | 

New USA user

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
badchemistry
In Neutral
In Neutral

Number of posts: 4
Registration date: 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New USA user   Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 13:51

To "applewins": I'm in Muskegon (he said as he watched his brief anonymity crumbling). I was riding out on Fruit Ridge Rd. a couple days ago; you probably know that stretch.

Here's a question: Pipe golding. My pipes have rapidly turned gold all the way back to the can. They are even getting purple/gray up by the motor. Is this normal? I see from "Mad Mick"'s icon above that he's got gold pipes, too. I have a 19 year old VMax that the chrome still looks new on. What's the deal?
Back to top Go down
cantwait2bking
Up Into Fourth Gear
Up Into Fourth Gear

Number of posts: 186
Registration date: 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New USA user   Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 15:52

From what I understand, high heat exposure causes the metal to oxidize when simultaneously exposed to air. This is what makes the pipes turn colors. My pipes are gold all the way up as well. Pretty standard unless you get your pipes coated or double walled. I imagine that our pipes are not thick at all, so its no surprise that they discolor.

Your vmax pipes might be double walled or coated to shield them from heat. Aftermarket pipes are sometimes made to either protect against discoloring or hide it.

I've read in some places that pipe discoloration is a sign of improper tuning (too lean or too rich of an AFR), but I've never seen an i4 bike with stock pipes that didnt blue. My r6 blued. Kawi zx6r blued. My father's old VFR 750 blued. Unless somebody suggests otherwise, I wouldnt worry.

Back to top Go down
badchemistry
In Neutral
In Neutral

Number of posts: 4
Registration date: 2012-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New USA user   Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 19:25

Thanks for the info. Since I see you're a sportbike rider, let me ask you about chains. I was a little reluctant to go back to a chain after years of riding a shaft drive. I didn't miss the lubing, tightening, replacing, and the mess it makes on the bike from throw-off. I bought some of the Suzuki lube, figuring they must know what the bike needs, but I don't like the stuff (messy). What all should I be doing, and how much longer life will I get out of a chain if I lube it regularly vs. just leaving it be?
Back to top Go down
cantwait2bking
Up Into Fourth Gear
Up Into Fourth Gear

Number of posts: 186
Registration date: 2012-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New USA user   Mon 16 Apr 2012 - 19:57

I don't profess to know much of chains:

But I do know there are some recommendations here on this site for a teflon lube that does not make a mess or fly off the chain onto the rest of the bike. Havent used it yet. I have Yamalube with no issues as long as spray is applied evenly and gently.

I lube if its been a while (hehe), like more than a month since last ride, if i've gotten caught in even a little bit of rain or a puddle, and once a month regardless if nothing else.
Lubing is pretty necessary or else the chain is subject to premature wear from metal parts grinding together and potential corrosion.

Im only 24 and haven't had a single sportbike Long enough to need a chain replacement. My first two were stolen.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here on chain care and life.
Back to top Go down

New USA user

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2